Colonel Patrick D. Barger is the Commander of the 442d Medical Squadron at Whiteman Air Force Base, Missouri. His career is a diverse combination of enlisted and commissioned service in both the Army and Air reserve components of the armed forces of the United States. He is a Level III Joint Qualified Officer.
A native of Lincoln, Nebraska, he first enlisted in the Nebraska Air National Guard in 1985 and has served in a variety of units and positions since that time. Colonel Barger’s career has focused in the areas of human resources, logistics, readiness, and health services administration. Originally commissioned as a Medical Service Corps officer in the Army National Guard, he has since served in a variety of Air Force leadership roles as well. While simultaneously serving in reserve duty positions, Colonel Barger has performed many years of extended active duty tours at the Pentagon, National Guard Bureau, and Offutt AFB’s 55th Wing before being assigned as USSTRATCOM’s primary action officer and author of its global response plan to Pandemic Influenza. He has performed extended tours at the Air Reserve Personnel Center, 7AF (South Korea), and deployed to Afghanistan.
1990 Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
1999 NCO Academy, Lackland AFB, Texas (In-residence)
2000 Senior NCO Academy (Non-residence)
2003 Master of Public Administration, University of Nebraska-Omaha
2009 Squadron Officer School (Non-residence)
2011 Air Command and Staff College (Non-residence)
2018 Air War College (Non-residence)
2018 Joint Combined Warfighting School/JPME II (In-residence)
- February 1985 – April 1988, Fuels Specialist, 155th Tactical Reconnaissance Group, Nebraska Air Guard.
- April 1988 – February 1991, Fuels Specialist, 442d Tactical Fighter Wing, AFRES, Richards-Gebaur AFB, Mo.
- February 1991 – September 1993, Fuels Specialist, Individual Ready Reserve.
- September 1993 – June 1995 Law Enforcement Specialist, 132d Tactical Fighter Wing, Iowa Air Guard.
- July 1995 – January 1997, Administrative Specialist, 92d Troop Command, Nebraska Army Guard.
- February 1997-May 1999, Contracting Specialist, 155th Air Refueling Wing, Nebraska Air Guard.
- June 1999 – May 2004, Base Career Advisor, 155th Air Refueling Wing, Nebraska Air Guard (AGR tour).
- June 2004 - October 2006, Battalion Adjutant (S-1), 110th Medical Battalion, Nebraska Army Guard.
- October 2005 – September 2006, Executive Officer, ARNG Chief Surgeon, Arlington, Va (Title 10 tour).
- October 2006 – March 2007, Medical Readiness Officer, 110th Medical Group, Michigan Air Guard.
- October 2006 – September 2007, Action Officer, HAF/A1, The Pentagon, Washington, D.C. (Title 10 tour).
- September 2007 – February 2008, Installation Deployment Officer, 55th Wing, Offutt AFB, Neb. (MPA tour).
- April 2007 – May 2009, OIC Commander's Support Staff, 710th Medical Squadron, Offutt AFB, Neb.
- February 2008 – September 2009, JFHQ Strategic Planner, STRATCOM/J5, Offutt AFB, Neb. (MPA tour).
- October 2009 – September 2010, JFHQ Medical Readiness OIC, STRATCOM/J1, Offutt AFB, Neb. (MPA tour).
- June 2009-May 2019, Plans, Ops, and Medical Intel Officer, STRATCOM/Command Surgeon, Offutt AFB, Neb.
- October 2011-April 2012, Chief of Medical Logistics, NTMA/CSTCA, Camp Eggers, Kabul, Afghanistan.
- June 2012-October 2012, Medical Exercise Planner, STRATCOM/Command Surgeon, Offutt AFB, Neb. (MPA tour).
- August 2013-January 2014, Medical Assignment Facilitator, HQ ARPC/DPAF, Buckley AFB, CO. (MPA tour).
- August-September 2017, Deputy Command Surgeon, 7AF/SG, Osan AB, South Korea (exercise).
- May 2019-present, Commander, 442d Medical Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with one Oak Leaf Cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal with one Oak Leaf Cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Army Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two Oak Leaf Clusters
Army Achievement Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with Silver Hourglass and five “M” devices
Nebraska National Guard Individual Achievement Medal
55th Support Group CGO of the Quarter (4th Qrtr 2007)
USSTRATCOM/J0 FGO of the Quarter (2nd Qrtr 2012)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION