Lt Col David J. Black is the commander of the 442d Maintenance Group, a Total Force Integration unit assigned to the 442d Fighter Wing, Whiteman Air Force Base, Mo. He is responsible for an aircraft maintenance organization, which includes the 442d Maintenance Squadron, the 442d Aircraft Maintenance Squadron and the 442d Maintenance Operations Flight, which provides combat-ready Airmen in support of the wing's A-10 Thunderbolt II mission.
Lt Col Black is a senior maintenance officer with experience on C-130E/H; B-1B, F-16C/D Block 30’s, C- 17B, C-5B/M, F-22s and F-35s. He previously commanded the 482d Maintenance Squadron and 482d Aircraft Maintenance Squadron at Homestead Air Reserve Base, Fla., the 512th Maintenance Squadron at Dover Air Force Base, Del., and the 926th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron at Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
Lt Col Black is a native of Youngstown, Ohio. He entered the United States Air Force in 2001 through the Reserve Officer Training Corps at Kent State University with a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Aeronautical Science. Additionally, Lt Col Black has a Master’s degree in Human Relations from the University of Oklahoma.
Lt Col Black is married to the former Jessica Cait Martinez of Homestead, Florida.
2001 Bachelors of Aeronautical Science, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio
2003 Jet Engine Mishap Investigation Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2005 Aircraft Mishap Investigation Course, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2006 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 NATO Reserve Force Integration Course, Obergammergau, Germany
2010 Masters of Human Relations, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Okla.
2012 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Air Force Combat Ammunition Center, Senior Officer Orientation, Beale AFB, Calif.
2015 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2018 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. September 2001 – October 2002, Propulsion Flight Commander, 86th Maintenance Squadron, 86th Airlift Wing, Ramstein AB, Germany
2. October 2002 – September 2003, Assistant OIC, 37th Aircraft Maintenance Unit, 86th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, 86th Airlift Wing, Ramstein AB, Germany
3. September 2003 – April 2004, Maintenance Training Flight Commander, 28th Maintenance Operations Squadron, 28th Bomb Wing, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
4. April 2004 – April 2005, Maintenance Flight Commander, 28th Maintenance Squadron, 28th Bomb Wing, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
5. April 2005 – August 2006, 34th Aircraft Maintenance Unit OIC, 28th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, 28th Bomb Wing, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
6. August 2006 – November 2007, Maintenance Flight Commander, 65th Operations Support Squadron, 65th Air Base Wing, Lajes Field, Azores, Portugal
7. December 2007 – November 2008, Maintenance Operations Center OIC, 910th Maintenance Operations Flight, 910th Airlift Wing, Youngstown, Ohio
8. November 2008 – August 2009, Executive Officer, 482d Maintenance Group, 482d Fighter Wing, Homestead ARB,FL
9. August 2009 – November 2009, Maintenance Operations Officer, 482d Maintenance Squadron, 482d Fighter Wing, Homestead ARB, Fla.
10. November 2009 – February 2012, Commander, 482d Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, 482d Fighter Wing, Homestead ARB, Fla.
11. February 2012 – April 2013, Commander, 482d Maintenance Squadron, 482d Fighter Wing, Homestead ARB, Fla.
12. April 2013 – September 2015, Commander, 512th Maintenance Squadron, 512th Airlift Wing, Dover AFB, Del.
13. October 2015 – February 2017, Commander, 926th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, 926th Wing, Nellis AFB, Nev.
14. February 2017 – June 2018, Deputy Commander of Maintenance, 926th Wing, Nellis AFB, Nev.
15. June 2018 – Present, Commander, 442d Maintenance Group, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 30, 2001
First Lieutenant May 30, 2003
Captain May 30, 2005
Major May 30, 2010
Lieutenant Colonel September 30, 2016
(Current as of July 2018)