Colonel Roger P. Suro is the commander of the 442d Fighter Wing, an Air Force Reserve unit with headquarters at Whiteman Air Force Base, Mo. He is responsible for the combat readiness of approximately 1,300 Air Force reservists and 24 A- 10 Thunderbolt II aircraft at Whiteman AFB and a geographically separated unit; the 476th Fighter Group at Moody AFB, Ga.
Col Suro was commissioned in 1989 as a graduate of the United States Naval Academy. After 11 years in the active component, Col Suro joined the Air Force Reserve in 2000. Prior to his current position, he was the commander of the 340th Flying Training Group at Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas.
1989 Bachelor of Science Degree, Aerospace Engineering, United States Naval Academy
1996 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2008 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2011 Master of Theological Studies, Liberty University, Va.
2012 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University
2013 Harvard National Security Fellow, Cambridge, Mass.
2014 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1. September 1989–September 1990, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Williams AFB, Ariz.
2. September 1990–February 1991, Student, Holloman AFB, N.M.
3. March 1991–June 1991, A-10 Student Pilot, 357th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
4. June 1991–June 1992, A-10 Pilot, 356th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Myrtle Beach AFB, S.C.
5. June 1992–June 1995, A/OA-10 Pilot, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
6. July 1995–August 1997, A-10 Instructor Pilot and Flight Commander, 75th Fighter Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
7. September 1997–November 2000, AT-38 Instructor Pilot and Flight Commander, 49th Fighter Training Squadron, Columbus AFB, Miss.
8. December 2000–November 2006, AT-38 Instructor and Flight Commander, 39th Flying Training Squadron, Moody AFB, Ga.
9. November 2006–March 2007, Director of Operations, AT-38 Evaluator, 435th Fighter Training Squadron, Randolph AFB, Texas
10. April 2007–June 2008, Flight Commander, AT-38 Evaluator, Randolph AFB, Texas
11. June 2008–December 2008, Director of Operations, T-38C, 435 Fighter Training Squadron, Randolph AFB, Texas
12. January 2009–July 2010, Chief of Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, 340th Flying Training Group, Randolph AFB, Texas
13. July 2010–June 2011, Chief of Plans, 340th Flying Training Group, Randolph AFB, Texas14. June 2011–June 2012, Commander, 39th Flying Training Squadron, Randolph AFB, Texas
15. June 2012–July 2013, Harvard National Security Fellow, Cambridge, Mass.
16. July 2013–May 2016, Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Manpower and Reserve Affairs, Pentagon
17. May 2016–October 2017, Commander, 340th Flying Training Group, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph AFB, Texas
18. October 2017–Present, Commander, 442d Fighter Wing, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2013–May 2016, Director, Reserve Component Personnel Policy, Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Reserve Integration, Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a colonel.
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: more than 4200
Aircraft flown: A/OA-10, AT-38B and T-38C
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf clusters
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device and two oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with one bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
2016 Level III Joint Qualified Officer
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 1989
First Lieutenant May 31, 1991
Captain May 31, 1993
Major September 1, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel October 1, 2006 Colonel August 1, 2012